Luke Alexander's Birth Story

I found out I was pregnant with my second son January 6th, 2017.


 My first pregnancy ended up being an emergency c section that I had to put to sleep for, let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience. I felt like I missed out on something that a woman should naturally be able to do. I was devastated, but I didn't dwell on it. I was thankful that I was okay and I had a beautiful baby boy to show for it all. I always just told myself that I'll get to have my experience with my next child.

Fast forward almost five years to find out I'm pregnant again. I didn't really know how to feel, we had been trying to get pregnant for about a year and it hadn't happened that I wasn't prepared for all the feels when it finally did. It was also hard to imagine loving someone as much as I love my first son.

I was adamant, that going into this pregnancy, I would try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) It was my goal to have a completely different birth story than my first.

My pregnancy progressed normally, aside from being super sick my first trimester, the rest was great. Until around 28 weeks when I did my glucose and complete blood count labs. It was then that I found out I had low blood platelets. I wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but my Dr. explained everything was fine, that they had ruled out any serious complications that could cause that issue. I simply had gestational thrombocytopenia, otherwise, low platelets due to pregnancy. Platelets in your blood are needed to be between a certain level in order to help a wound clot if you are ever injured. Low platelets during pregnancy are scary because of the risk of hemorrhage. My doctor assured and eased me that it wasn't anything to be concerned about and we would check my blood regularly to see if they would come up. My platelets would go up and down over the rest of my pregnancy but never did they come up higher than 107.

Towards the end of my pregnancy I had a VBAC consult with my OBGYN, we discussed all the risks associated with a VBAC, my Dr. explained I would be such a great candidate for a VABC if my platelets weren't an issue. If for some reason I were to start having a vaginal birth and ended up needing an emergency c-section, the risks associated with that would be extremely high, I would also have to labor un-medicated. The choice for an epidural was out the window. I also learned that if I scheduled a repeat c section and my platelets were below 100 at the time of delivery, I would have to be put under and the option of a spinal was out of the question. I was devastated, the thought of having the same exact birth experience as my first crushed me, I had a mild break down. My husband and I sat down and weighed our options. He was scared himself and felt more comfortable with just scheduling the surgery, which was easy for him to say since he wouldn't be the one under the knife. I knew I would be more comfortable doing a repeat, if I knew I could at least be awake for it. I was torn! I did the only thing that gave me some sense of hope. I sat down one day and I prayed. What better advice to get than from the man himself. I asked god to guide me and help make the best decision for myself and this baby.

That very same day I got the results back from my last blood draw and my platelets were at 107! I felt like god was answering me and telling me what to do. So I scheduled my repeat c section. My sons birthday would be Sept 8, 2017. It's such a weird feeling to actually have a day to count down to.

The early morning of Friday the 8th, my husband and I drove to the hospital. I was scheduled for my surgery at 8 am. I was nervous, but I knew I'd be meeting my son shortly. Such a wild feeling, knowing he'd be earth side in just a few hours. Right before surgery, my Dr. came in and said they needed to check my platelets one last time, by orders from the anesthesiologist. They came back at 81. I started to panic and cry. This isn't what I had prepared for, all that was going thru my mind was being put to sleep because they were below 100. But, by some miracle the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me, she explained that she'd be willing to give me my spinal if I was agreeing to the risks. I was overjoyed, that is what I wanted, and with no hesitation I agreed. Again I prayed and left myself and my son, in god's hands.

At about 8:10 I was walked down to the OR. I started to panic a little, being alone and having to be prepped before my husband could come back. They gave me a mild sedative, and then started the spinal. It took instantly! I was okay! My husband finally come back and within minutes it felt like, I heard the sweet sound of my son's first cry. Luke Alexander Linares was born at 8:39 am.


My husband got to cut the umbilical cord, and as soon as he was cleaned up, they placed him directly on my chest and he snuggled there until I was stitched back up and we were wheeled back to our recovery room.



Considering the circumstances, it was the best delivery, and everything I was hoping for. Oh and my worries about loving another child as much as my first were silly. Luke has nestled into our lives as if he was always here. My heart could literally burst.


Comments

Popular Posts